Skip to content


Transfer Student FAQ


Application and Admission

Learn about transfer admission criteria at the Office of Admissions website.

There are three basic steps for application to the U.

  1. First fill out an application. This can most easily be done online.
  2. You must also have transcripts sent from all previous schools.
  3. Finally, you must pay an application fee, or request an application fee waiver.

  • The Office of Admissions will begin processing your application once all fees and supporting documents have been received.
  • Once all information is received, it can take from 2 to 4 weeks depending on how many applications are submitted when you apply. Transfer applications are rolling admissions, meaning Admissions starts reviewing once they receive a completed application.
  • You can see if you are missing any information or documents on your transfer application by using the application tracker.
  • Don't wait for the deadline. Apply early!

Connect with an Admissions Counselor to discuss when is the best time for you to apply.

It is wise to begin applying at least a semester before you plan to attend the U. You want to have plenty of time for your application to be processed and to get signed up for an early Orientation session. This will allow you to register with the rest of the students at the U. The following are good guidelines for early admission:

For Fall Semester: Apply in January (Priority deadline for transfer students is February 1st)
For Spring Semester: Apply in September
For Summer Semester: Apply in January

No, you want to apply as early as possible! Admissions will evaluate you based on the course work that you have already completed. You can send your complete transcript after all your grades are posted.

  • You will receive an acceptance letter from the Office of Admissions if you have been admitted.
  • A "Summary of Transfer Credit" showing all the coursework that has been accepted will also be sent, as well as information on how to sign up for a Transfer New Student Orientation.
  • You can track the status of your application using the Office of Admission's application tracker

Check out our After Admissions checklist!

You will be eligible to register once you have:

  • Confirmed your intent to enroll by paying your Enrollment Deposit.
    • If the enrollment deposit is a financial challenge, you may request a deposit extension. All requests must be in writing and submitted to
  • Attended a Transfer New Student Orientation. You will receive information upon admission on how to attend an orientation session, or you can visit the Orientation website for more information. Don't delay attending an Orientation; the earlier you attend, the better your options for selecting classes will be. 
  • Met with an academic advisor. There will be time at the end of Transfer New Student Orientation to connect with your college.

Housing Information

Transferring Credits to the U

  • Classes taken at colleges and universities within the state of Utah may be automatically recognized for transfer credit and by the prerequisite checking system at the U. Course equivalencies can be checked through the Utah Transfer Guide or Transferology.
  • Out of state students can check out the U of U Transfer Credit Equivalency Guide
  • For students applying for the Spring 2023 term and after, the Office of Admissions will accept all out-of-state transfer courses from US regionally accredited institutions as long as the courses are non-remedial, non-graduate level, or have not been applied to a previous bachelor’s degree. Grades must be a D- or higher to count for credit. General education, bachelor's degree, and major requirements may require higher letter grades in order for them to apply to these areas. If these courses have not been previously reviewed by the U, it may come in initially as elective credit. See more Transfer Articulation Policies
  • A student's major department will evaluate transfer credit for applicability to major requirements. It is important for students to meet with their departmental advisor as soon as possible to discuss these requirements.
  • Check out our more detailed transfer credit webpage.

Majors at the U

The University of Utah offers over 200 majors, minors, and certificates that students can choose to build their own unique academic experience. Quick guide to all U of U majors, minors and certificates.

You must meet with the departmental advisor of your major who can formally admit you to your degree-granting college.

  • You can find major-specific events and info sessions through the exploration events calendar
  • You can research departmental home pages online
  • You can review potential paths and quick guides to majors through Major Maps
  • You can identify the departmental advisor or the program you are interested in pursuing
    • Depending on the major, the major may only offer appointments with peer advisors if transfer students are not yet admitted to the U
  • You can find information on all requirements in the U’s General Catalog

A restricted major is one that requires a student to go through some sort of acceptance process to enter that program. This acceptance is separate from your initial admission to the U, and will require some sort of additional application to your major department. The requirements for acceptance to these restricted programs are varied but can include: completion of prerequisite classes, GPA, personal statement, portfolio, and volunteer/work experience. Business, Engineering, Computer Science, Nursing, Education, Architecture, Communications, and Pharmacy are just a few examples of restricted majors at the U.

It is important that transfer students think about a major before or as soon as they begin at the University of Utah. Students are expected to declare a major by the end of their sophomore year (60 semester hours) or within one year of entering the U of U. If you are still undecided, check out these Major Exploration Resources OR make an appointment with an Academic Advising Center Advisor at 801-581-8146 or online.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Involvement at the U

  • Yes! Check out our list of transfer cohort and academic programs
  • Most transfer cohort courses meet Bachelor Degree requirements that are not cleared with an Associate Degree, such as the International Requirement (IR) or upper division Communication & Writing (CW) requirement.

College Specific Opportunities

  • College of Humanities, Writing & Rhetoric Studies (WRS)
    • No matter what your major or career goals, writing will be important to your success. The Department of Writing & Rhetoric Studies (WRS) is here to help you become an effective and flexible writer in your U classes and beyond.
  • College of Science, Science Research Initiative (SRI)
    • The (SRI) program offers College of Science students the opportunity to participate in discovery-based scientific research starting your first day on campus, with no prior research experience required. The SRI will jumpstart your path of academic success, and give you needed skills to prepare for an internship or a career - whether that's in a research lab, an office, or one of the many other opportunities open to our graduates.

Graduation and Degree Requirements

The University Graduation Requirements at the U consist of 2 parts:

General Education

  • General Education includes course requirements in the areas of Fine Arts, Humanities, Physical & Life Sciences, Social Sciences, Writing, American Institutions, and Quantitative Literacy.
Bachelor Degree Requirements
  • The Bachelor Degree requirements make up the second part of the University Graduation Requirements. These include an upper division Communication/Writing requirement, a DV course, an upper division International course, and a Quantitative Intensive requirement or foreign language courses, depending on what type of degree you are seeking.

Please refer to the Office of General Education for more details

Note: If you are considering a major in the College of Engineering, there are specific General Education requirements that need to be met, and you should see a departmental advisor as soon as possible.

An Associate of Science (AS) or an Associate of Arts (AA) degree (not an Associate of Applied Science) or an Interstate Passport or Certificate of Completion from an accredited Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) institution will waive your General Education requirements. U of U Bachelors Degree requirements are not cleared by these degrees and certifications.

An Associate of Science (AS) or an Associate of Arts (AA) degree (not an Associate of Applied Science) from an out-of-state institution should clear the Writing and Intellectual Exploration requirements (Fine Arts, Humanities, Physical & Life Sciences, and Social Sciences). Students transferring from out-of-state may also clear the Quantitative Reasoning and American Institutions requirements if they are transferring in comparable classes.

  • If you think a transfer course could fulfill a university general education or bachelor degree requirement, submit a “Quick Question Advising” request by calling 801-581-8146 or going online to have a general advisor review the course . Be prepared to provide a copy of the course description and syllabus.
  • If you think a transfer course could fulfill a major requirement, take a course description and syllabus to your departmental advisor

Upon admission to the U, you will receive a summary of transfer credit that will identify which transfer courses were applied to these graduation requirements. Once you are accepted, you may also access the Degree Audit to determine which requirements you have satisfied. Learn how to run an audit.

Degree Audit is an audit that University of Utah students may access over the web, listing university graduation requirements and what you have completed up to the current time. To generate an audit you will need to login to the Campus Information Services. The report also lists major requirements; however, you will want to work closely with your departmental advisor to determine applicability of transfer work. Learn how to run an audit.

The length of time you spend at the U depends on a variety of factors, such as the number of units transferred, your major, and personal factors. Speaking with an advisor will help keep you on track.


Last Updated: 6/28/24