Skip to content


Transfer Credit Information



CHECK OUT the U of u's transfer credit equivalency guide

For students applying for the Spring 2023 term and after, the Office of Admissions will accept all out-of-state transfer courses from US regionally accredited institutions as long as the courses are non-remedial, non-graduate level, or have not been applied to a previous bachelor’s degree. Grades must be a D- or higher to count for credit. General education, bachelor's degree, and major requirements may require higher letter grades in order for them to apply to these areas. If these courses have not been previously reviewed by the U, it may come in initially as elective credit. See more Transfer Articulation Policies

If out-of-state credits do not initially come in as transferring, and you want it to count towards general education requirements - please fill out the general education appeal form or make an appointment with the Academic Advising Center (AAC) related to transfer credit. On their website it says that you can make an appointment by calling them at: 801-581-8146 or emailing them at:

Looking up information for a loved one? Learn more about setting up a FERPA Pin and the student information it protects

Transfer Credit as Prerequisites

The U of U is serious about prerequisite checking because we want you to be successful!

To see if a U of U class that you want to take has a prerequisite, read the course description for the class in the General Catalog by clicking on the Course Number or in the Class Schedule by clicking on class details.

Review Your Transfer Course Credit

Run a Degree Audit

  • In most cases a transfer class must be posted on your U of U record to count as a prerequisite.
  • Run a Degree Audit to see if a class is posted.

Consider if the Course Can Count

Several things determine if a class can count as a prerequisite:

  • The grade you received in the class
  • How long ago you took the class (prerequisites can expire)
  • The content and scope of the class
    • a syllabus from the course may be needed to determine if it meets prerequisite criteria
    • Current students who have been asked to submit a syllabus for further course evaluation may do so using this link. Please note: syllabi will only be reviewed for current students.

Consider Where You Completed the Course

  • Classes taken at colleges and universities within the state of Utah may be automatically recognized by the prerequisite checking system at the U. Course equivalencies can be checked through the Utah Transfer Guide or Transferology.
  • Classes from out-of-state institutions will not usually be automatically recognized as prerequisites, so students with these credits will need to check Transferology or the U of U Transfer Credit Equivalency Guide (Registrar's Office). If the courses you have taken haven't been reviewed yet, contact the department offering the class to see if a class meets prerequisite requirements.

Request a Permission Code

  • Many departments enforce prerequisites with the use of permission codes. These are numbers that allow a student to take a class that has an enforced prerequisite.
  • Permission codes are given by the department offering the class.
    • In some cases, the instructor for the class gives the code.
    • At other times, the advisor or main departmental office may provide permission codes.
    • Many departments have permission code request forms on their websites - list of permission code request forms.
  • How to use a Permission Code and other tips (Office of the Registrar)

Submit AP Scores and Prior Learning Credits

ACT, SAT, AP and other standardized test scores can sometimes be used to fill prerequisite requirements.

These scores do not transfer to the U with a student’s transcript. They must be sent directly to the U of U Admissions Office from the agency awarding the credits.

Prior Learning Credit information

Advanced Placement Credit information

Military Credit Information

Last Updated: 6/25/24